Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cooking with Grandma

With in the past few years my husband lost his grandparents. And no matter how close you are (or aren't) it affects you. Losing a member of the family can be hard. One thing that makes it easier for me is when I can pass along some special memories of loved ones who've passed. Many times they are shared through stories. Although in my house they are often shared through food :) I love to collect antiques. When I get something that has memories and family value, it makes it all the more special to me.

This cast iron skillet was my husband's grandmothers. It was obviously well loved....which is great for me cause it's seasoned already! If you don't know about cast iron skillets: if you buy them new, you have to "season" it. Oh, and you can't wash it. Interesting, huh? I believe the best way to get a cast iron skillet is to have one given to you. The one I was given is awesome! It's super heavy too - great quality. They just don't make them like they used to. Sorry, I know I'm bragging. Well, last night was the night to break it in.

It was cold and extremely windy yesterday. The kind of wind that cuts through you and chills you to the bone. It also makes my ears ache, not sure why. So I made comfort food! Homemade chili and corn bread in a cast iron skillet. It cooked wonderfully in the skillet and quicker than it usually does. If you haven't tried cooking in a cast iron skillet- go for it! I just melted a little butter in the skillet, swished it around to coat and then poured the batter in. Easy. And now it's creating new memories for my family.

Usually on the weeknights I grab a Marie Calendar quick cornbread bag. Just add 1 1/2 cups water, stir, viola! But, I'll go ahead and leave you with my favorite corny cornbread recipe from non other than the amazing Paula Deen. Fair warning: I haven't made this in a skillet before. But I have made it and it's my favorite.

Corny Cornbread

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus 1/4 cup for greasing pan
  • 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
  • 3/4 cup self-rising flour
  • 1 cup cream-style corn, see Cook's Note*
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar, optional
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Generously season a cast iron skillet with up to 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Preheat the pan either in the oven or on the stove over medium-high heat.

Mix 1/2 cup vegetable oil and remaining ingredients together in a large bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined. Pour batter into the preheated cast iron skillet. Place skillet in the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. If making individual size cornbreads in smaller pans, they will require a shorter cooking time. Alternately, you can make this in muffin tins to make corn muffins, but check for doneness after 15 minutes.

*Cook's Note: Frozen creamed corn is sold in the frozen vegetables section of most grocery stores. It is much better than using canned corn.


This recipe can be found at:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/corny-cornbread-recipe2/index.html

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE cornbread!!!!! Does cornbread and crabcakes go together? I want to make crab cakes, but now I want the CORNBREAD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crab cakes- yummmmm.... I think anything goes with cornbread! :D That recipe is so yummy too- you have to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails