Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sick days....

I always forget that when my schedule gets crazy my kid's schedules get crazy too. If you have kids then you know that schedules are important to kids. They typically wake up at a certain time, eat at a certain time and sleep at a certain time. If one of these events gets thrown off schedule then a meltdown is bound to happen. If more than one of these events gets thrown off schedule then all hell can break loose. Or in my case.... your kid can get sick. I have a sick 2 1/2 year old princess and it's not a fun thing. In addition to trying to care for her I also have to keep my almost 5 year old entertained as well. Oh the joy of sick days.... what is a mom to do?

Here's my list of sick day suggestions:

1) Pull out the Legos. I love Legos. Kids can build with those for hours.

2) Make popsicles... or just pull some out of the freezer. Either way it makes kids happy and gets liquids into the sick ones.

3) Watch movies with popcorn. There's something about popcorn that makes movies better- don't you think??

4) Color. I know, this is standard. I pull out the Crayola Wonder markers and let my kids color while sitting on the couch. This way the sick one can still color and rest. If you don't know- Crayola Wonder markers only work on special paper- the kids can rub the markers on the couch with no affect whatsoever.

5) Playdough ....... as a last resort. I'm not sure if I'm the only mom who's not so fond of Playdough. In my defense, the stuff gets crumbly after a while and gets all over the place. And it honestly is a pain to pick it out of the carpet.


If all of the above ideas fail, here's some unusual ideas:
1) Dye paper with tea and make a pirate treasure map with your kids- they can pick out a treasure to place at the end.

2) Fill a shoe box with items. Cut a hole in the side. Have your child try to guess what items he/she is feeling in the box without looking inside.

3) Place different types of beans in a large bowl. Get small bowls and spoons for the kids. Ask them to separate out the different types. For some reason my kids find this activity fun, your might too.

Ok. Off I go to pull out some popsicles :) Wish me luck!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hope everyone feels better soon! This reminded me of the days when we wanted to play with playdough. Mom needed several weeks advance written notice and, even then, we had to use it outside.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails