Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pick Strawberries Day

Did you know that May 20th is pick strawberries day?? I swear I'm not making it up! If you don't believe me you can Google it. I believe it's considered one of the Food Holiday days and not a national holiday. Which means those of us who work 9-5 can't get today off. But it might be fun to go to your local strawberry field and pick some this weekend. We live close to the Carlsbad U-Pick fields which is a great place to go. I highly recommend it if you've never been.

This year we've tackled the rabbit problem and have successfully grown strawberries in our backyard. Our neighbor outwitted their rabbits by placing a dome of chicken wire and painters tape around their plants. I wish I had a picture of that....it's very comical. We outwitted the rabbits by planting our strawberries in a pot and suspending it from a bird feeder. It seems to have worked and the kids love getting warm, ripe strawberries from our backyard. For that matter I do too! Yum....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails