Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Cyclone

I've started reading "The Wizard of Oz" to my 5 year old son. I believe that kids should learn the classics and be exposed to them at home as well as at school. He's loving it by the way :)


One point that he was very interested in was the cyclone. Since we live in southern California we don't really talk about them. But we are very skilled in the Earthquake drill and my kids have experienced multiple earthquakes.
As I was explaining to my son about tornadoes and cyclones I thought about my life. Sometimes it seems like the floor is shaking, just like an earthquake. Other times it seems as if my life has been swept up in the air and tossed about. Where will I land? What land will I land in? Will a good witch will grant me safe passage? Right now it's one of those moments where the cyclone has lifted my life in the air and everything is getting tossed about. I felt a little hopeless when it started but now I'm excited to see where I'll be when I land.


Life is just getting so busy. My son's starting kindergarten on Monday. I'm not ready to let go. He's in soccer and really learning some great lessons. I've become the "Team Mom" and I'm really, really not sure how that happened. My daughter is not a baby anymore- I just keep telling her she'll always be my baby no matter how big she gets. I'm learning how to let go and learning that I'm not as strong as I thought I was. My cake business has been growing, but I'm thinking about slowing it down a little. At least until both kids are in school. These days I feel like I'm being pulled in all different directions. How does one person balance it all?


A great analogy would be a tight rope walker who's balancing people on her shoulders and those people are jumping around and dancing. The tightrope walker also has multiple ropes that are attached to her and are pulling in different directions. Like I said, I'm in a tornado. Exciting and terrifying all at the same time. Now all I have to do is try to keep my feet on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails